Monday, November 17, 2008

A Dog's Instinct

You know, they say that a dog's brain comprehends about as much as a 3 year old child. Mommy and Daddy say that I comprehend much more than that. One example of my comprehension completely floored my Daddy and my Momma Gena. Last Wednesday night, after church, Mommy and I were sitting on the couch. She had the recliner out so that her feet would be propped up. I was laying stretched out beside her and had my chin propped on her leg. She mentioned that the way I had my chin propped was hurting her leg. She said that she wished I would readjust. SO - at that very second, I lifted my head, put my paw on her leg and propped my chin on my paw so that I would not hurt my Mommy. Momma Gena could not believe that I understood what my Mommy had said. Of course I comprehend... I am human stuck in a dog's body!

Daddy also says that I have very good animal instincts. Since Mommy has found out that she is expecting, I am very careful when playing with my Mommy. I do not jump on her tummy because I don't want to hurt my brother. I constantly follow her around the house and I am very anxious when my Mommy is not at home with me. I guess I worry about her. I do understand what is going on with my Mommy. And don't tell her, but I actually knew about Noah before Mommy and Daddy did!

My instincts also told me that GrandDanny was sick. Daddy was worried that I would try to jump all over GrandDanny when he first got home from the hospital with his first surgery. Did I? Nope! I knew that my GrandDanny did not feel good. I even helped Momma Gena care for him! For is second surgery, Daddy was not as concerned with me. When greeting him, I ran to his recliner, propped my paws on the arm of the chair and gave my kisses. Now that GrandDanny is all better, we can play rough in the floor! I sure love it! Don't tell him I told you, but I won on Saturday night!

So, for those that don't think dogs have instincts, I am here to tell you that we do! We may not always show you that we know how to use them (aka. Buddy - Nanny's dog!) but we do have them. Mommy just says that I am the smartest doggie in the whole world. Well... I think she is right! :-) Now, don't get me wrong, I do like to throw my instincts out of the window and go nuts, but I do understand what is going on!

Oh Well - that's just a dog's life!

~Maggie

No comments: